After more than a decade as a corporate commercial lawyer at an international law firm, Rebecca decided to try something completely different and joined Mel at Lift Legal.
Rebecca has this to say about her decision to join the Lift Legal team:
“In my thirteen years practicing at an international law firm in both Vancouver and Edmonton I was extremely fortunate to receive training and mentorship from some of the leading corporate and commercial lawyers in Canada. I worked with businesses of all sizes and honed my legal skills. However, there was often something missing for me. Although I loved my work and my colleagues, I felt a disconnect from the clients and saw first-hand how for many smaller businesses the large law firm is not a practical or accessible solution. At Lift Legal we are focused on client service. We work hard to be a trusted advisor to each of our clients. We provide high quality, practical legal advice that is tailored to specifically advance our clients’ goals – all the while being friendly, approachable and affordable. I love working with small and medium sized business where I get the opportunity to know the owner(s) and work with them one on one to achieve their business and legal goals. I am excited to use my training and experience to bring top notch business law services to St. Albert and beyond. I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish in the business community by working together!”
EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE
- Rebecca advises businesses from start-up to sale and can assist with the incorporation and formation of all types of business entities.
- Rebecca is an experienced business lawyer who acts as the general legal advisor for all types and sizes of Alberta businesses (including not-for profit organizations). In this role she assists with an organization’s strategic planning and growth, commercial and employment contracts, corporate governance and finance needs (among other things).
- Rebecca is a skilled negotiator having assisted clients with numerous negotiations during the purchase and sale of businesses, negotiations of all types of contracts and negotiations relating to shareholder disputes and the ultimate removal of a shareholder.
- Rebecca takes pride in drafting all types of legal agreements from the standard to the novel and complex, all in a clear and concise manner.
- Rebecca has extensive experience reviewing and drafting employment, consulting, and independent contractor agreements, as well as leases for commercial spaces.
- Rebecca earned a degree in Psychology and then an LLB from the University of British Columbia. During her studies she completed a year at the University of Auckland and a semester at the University of Western Australia.
- After graduating from Law School in 2004 Rebecca worked as a clerk for seven justices of the British Columbia Supreme Court.
- Rebecca then worked at DLA Piper (Canada) LLP (formerly Davis LLP) as a corporate commercial lawyer until she joined Lift Legal in 2018.
Rebecca was born and raised in Maple Ridge, British Columbia. She lived in Vancouver before moving to St. Albert in 2012.
Rebecca’s greatest accomplishment is her family and she is kept very busy enjoying life with her husband Mel and their three wonderful boys. On any given day she can be found at the Servus Place pool or playground, watching a hockey game or swimming lesson, or spending time with her family at one of the many amazing parks around St. Albert. Rebecca is happy to call St. Albert home and is proud to be growing Lift Legal in the community where she is raising her children.
More than anything, Rebecca loves to have adventures with her family, whether it be a bike ride or a day trip to a new local park, a road trip to BC to visit cousins and grandparents or an epic adventure to a new city or country, Rebecca is always seeking out these opportunities for her family. One of Rebecca’s goals in life is to expose her children to a wide variety of cultures and experiences – and in her view there is no better way to accomplish that than through local adventures and travel!