Business and Real Estate Lawyer
After practicing as a corporate commercial lawyer at both an international law firm and a large regional law firm for over five years, Ryan was thrilled to join the team at Lift Legal.
This is what Ryan had to say about his decision to join Lift Legal:
“After spending over five years developing a broad corporate, commercial, real estate and mergers and acquisitions practice at international and regional law firms in Edmonton, I am excited to join the experienced team at Lift Legal. I received invaluable experience at larger firms working with clients involved in a number of different industries, including oil and gas, construction, insurance, forestry, transportation, retail, service, health care and manufacturing. However, the client focused and practical approach at Lift Legal drew me to the firm. I take pride in assisting small, medium and large businesses in navigating the corporate world and meeting their business goals. I look forward to working with my colleagues at Lift Legal to help our clients grow and succeed.”
EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE
- Ryan advises businesses of all sizes and in all stages from start-up to sale and provides guidance to clients on day-to-day operations.
- Ryan is experienced in assisting with all forms of commercial transactions, mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations.
- Ryan regularly prepares and negotiates a variety of commercial agreements, corporate formation documents and other company agreements, including employment, independent contractor, non-disclosure/non-competition, service provider and shareholder agreements.
- Ryan has extensive experience in acting for buyers and sellers in all types of real estate transactions and regularly acts for landlords and tenants in negotiating commercial leases.
- Ryan provides comprehensive and strategic advice to clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters as well as issues relating to consumer protection, privacy and employment legislation.
- Ryan earned a Bachelor of Science degree in communication studies from Liberty University where he graduated Magna Cum Laude. During his studies, Ryan played on the Liberty University Flames hockey team, reaching the ACHA National Tournament twice, and was named an ACHA Academic All American. Following undergrad, Ryan earned a JD from the University of Alberta.
- During Law School, Ryan spent a summer working for the Alberta Surface Rights Board/Land Compensation Board as a summer law student.
After graduating, Ryan articled and then worked as a corporate commercial lawyer at two large international and regional law firms (DLA Piper (Canada) LLP and MLT Aikins LLP) until he joined Lift Legal in 2020.
Ryan was born in Montreal but grew up in Langley/South Surrey, British Columbia. Ryan moved to Edmonton in 2011 to study law at the University of Alberta, and has called Edmonton home since.
Ryan grew up with four siblings in a sport-obsessed family. Ryan loves playing hockey, golf, slow-pitch and other sports in the greater Edmonton area. When he is not working, Ryan also enjoys attending concerts, watching football and spending weekends at the many parks and patios in Edmonton and St. Albert.
Ryan loves to travel and spent two months after Law School backpacking in Southeast Asia. Ryan and his girlfriend Kelsey will be welcoming a new puppy into the family and are looking forward to exploring St. Albert’s trails and dog parks.