Lift Legal in St. Albert is not your traditional law firm. We believe that our relationships with clients should be more than just a business transaction where we provide a service and you pay a bill. We want to get to know you so that we can better meet your needs and so that your experience with us is always a positive one.
At Lift Legal you won’t find a long list of legal services that we provide to the community of St. Albert & Edmonton. Instead we do two things and we do them well. Our focus on business law and family law allows us to provide exceptional service in these specific areas. We keep up with new developments in these areas and tailor our services to the unique needs of each of our clients.
Lift Legal is proof that you don’t need to hire a big law firm with a big law firm price tag in order to receive top-notch legal services. We always discuss pricing in detail at our first meeting to ensure that there are no surprises or misunderstandings down the line. We believe that families and businesses can greatly benefit from receiving quality legal services and we are willing to work with you to ensure this can happen.
WHY LIFT LEGAL?
- We think clients should like their lawyer.
- We are not your traditional law firm.
- We are looking for clients we can believe in.
We think clients should like their lawyer — we believe you will!
We appreciate that issues faced by clients requiring assistance with family law can be extremely personal. We want to hear your story and we will strive to make you feel understood and respected. Similarly, we know how important your business is to you and that it is key that the select group of advisors you choose for your business are as passionate about its success as you are. We want to get to know you and your St. Albert or Edmonton business and be part of the team that will help it grow.
We are not your traditional law firm.
We are striving to build a new kind of law firm based on a more personal and client focused way of practicing law. At Lift Legal we believe that constantly watching the clock gets in the way of a trusting and collaborative relationship. We strive to keep the lines of communication with our clients open and honest, and as a result, we will often answer brief questions and respond to emails without additional charges. We offer flexible pricing and payment plans to suit each client’s specific needs and we work hard to build a relationship of mutual respect and understanding with each of our clients.
At Lift Legal we take advantage of virtual supports, professional networks and online resources so that we can provide up-to-date, top notch legal services for St. Albert in a more appealing and cost effective manner.
We are looking for clients we can believe in.
We all do our best work when we believe in what we are working to accomplish. As a result, we look for clients whose values align with ours so that we are even more motivated to provide exceptional service and advice. We are passionate about helping businesses in Alberta grow and meet challenges and we believe in helping families move through difficult times in the most proactive and amicable way possible.
- We help resolve difficult family matters.
- We help businesses succeed.
- We bring family and business law together.
We help resolve difficult family matters — without litigation.
We strongly believe that your family law issues should be resolved by ensuring that you control the outcome rather than a stranger such as a judge. We do not litigate, rather we engage in mediation, collaborative law, and the negotiation of agreements to help guide relationships both before and after separation.
We help businesses succeed.
We know that when you are starting a new company or running one on your own, expenses can be high while the budget is low. Getting legal advice is often last on the priority list. Instead of paying high hourly rates at big firms, many business owners choose to forego legal advice altogether and tackle the minefield of incorporation, contracts and other legal matters on their own. We aim to provide you with accessible and affordable St. Albert legal services so that your business can get the help that it needs to allow it to grow and flourish. We can advise you on almost all aspects of your business, from start-up to selling your business and everything in between.
We appreciate that as a business owner you probably handle every aspect of your business and we want to help you continue to do that. So we draft contracts that you can not only understand, but explain to your clients. We will help you be as independent as you want to be.
We bring family and business law together.
It is not uncommon for the ownership of a business to be a key consideration in the handling of a separation or divorce. Given our depth of experience with business and corporate commercial law, we can provide advice on these aspects of the separation. For example, there is tremendous value added when your family lawyer has the expertise to see possibilities for your business and can handle its sale or restructuring if it becomes necessary as part of a separation.
Lawyer and Founder of
Mel is the founder of Lift Legal and is passionate about helping families and businesses in St. Albert and Edmonton achieve their goals.
Mel wants to change the way people view lawyers and law firms and has this to say about his approach to law:
“I love practicing law but the most exciting thing about it for me is that it offers the opportunity to build close relationships with clients and support them through a pivotal period in their lives. My goal is to help individuals and business owners accomplish their legal goals in a way that elevates them to new heights or at the very least enables them to move forward with the next phase of their life in a way that feels right for them. I think big law firms can create barriers to this type of relationship and achievement of goals in that they often foster inefficient practices, expensive overhead and an emotional distance from clients. The legal training I received at two large national law firms, my experience as in-house counsel, ongoing professional development, and my varied life experiences all contribute to my ability to provide clients with the level of service that I think they deserve.
In addition to being a committed and passionate lawyer, I am a devoted father to three amazing boys who I am raising with my wonderful wife Rebecca. I am a committed co-parent to my oldest son and have first-hand experience working through divorce and building a family structure to support a child after divorce. I am a passionate entrepreneur and understand the work and devotion that goes into building a business, and in turn the importance of having outside service providers who are committed to helping your business grow and succeed.”
EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE
- Mel is a certified mediator registered with the Alberta Family Mediation Society.
- Mel is a certified collaborative family lawyer registered with the Association of Collaborative Family Professionals.
- Mel is a business lawyer with an insider’s view regarding client services gained from his experience as in-house legal counsel.
- Mel is an experienced negotiator having assisted clients with numerous negotiations with government and industry.
- Mel is an advisor to businesses and governmental organizations and assists with all manner of commercial issues including regulatory and corporate governance matters.
- Mel is an experienced drafter and drafts all types of commercial agreements, as well as marriage and separation agreements, in a clear and concise manner.
- In 2000 Mel traded in his pipe wrench (he was formerly a pipe fitter) for a laptop and began studies at the University of Alberta where he earned an honours degree in Philosophy followed by an LLB.
- Since graduating from Law School in 2008, Mel worked at two large national firms (Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (now Dentons LLP) and Davis LLP (now DLA Piper (Canada) LLP) and as in house legal counsel, where he gained invaluable legal training and experience as a business lawyer, negotiator and general legal advisor.
- In 2013 Mel transitioned to a solo practice operating Garbe Consulting and Legal Services for three successful years. During this time he continued to build on his experience as a business lawyer and began practicing aspects of family law, obtaining training as a certified collaborative family lawyer and mediator.
Mel was born and raised in Irma, Alberta and has lived in St. Albert since 2009.
Mel’s greatest joy is his family and he is a proud and dedicated father to his three boys. Mel’s children keep him active in the community as he regularly volunteers at their schools and coaches their sports. Mel is happy to call St. Albert home and is excited to be building Lift Legal in the community where he is raising his children. You can often find Mel and Rebecca biking the paths of St. Albert with their three boys in tow or wandering around the St. Albert farmer’s market. If you can’t find Mel at the office you might find him running the trails of St. Albert with his “fourth child” Stanley, a golden retriever – great pyrenees cross.
More than anything, Mel loves traveling with his family and seeing how first experiences uniquely impact each of his three children. Mel seems to think he and Matthew Good are buddies…even though they have never met, and he gets extremely excited about any discussion of space, dreaming that one day he will have the chance to visit space with his boys.
Lawyer and Partner
After more than a decade as a corporate commercial lawyer at an international law firm, Rebecca decided to try something completely different and joined Mel at Lift Legal.
Rebecca has this to say about her decision to join the Lift Legal team:
“In my thirteen years practicing at an international law firm in both Vancouver and Edmonton I was extremely fortunate to receive training and mentorship from some of the leading corporate and commercial lawyers in Canada. I worked with businesses of all sizes and honed my legal skills. However, there was often something missing for me. Although I loved my work and my colleagues, I felt a disconnect from the clients and saw first-hand how for many smaller businesses the large law firm is not a practical or accessible solution. At Lift Legal we are focused on client service. We work hard to be a trusted advisor to each of our clients. We provide high quality, practical legal advice that is tailored to specifically advance our clients’ goals – all the while being friendly, approachable and affordable. I love working with small and medium sized business where I get the opportunity to know the owner(s) and work with them one on one to achieve their business and legal goals. I am excited to use my training and experience to bring top notch business law services to St. Albert and beyond. I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish in the business community by working together!”
EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE
- Rebecca advises businesses from start-up to sale and can assist with the incorporation and formation of all types of business entities.
- Rebecca is an experienced business lawyer who acts as the general legal advisor for all types and sizes of Alberta businesses (including not-for profit organizations). In this role she assists with an organization’s strategic planning and growth, commercial and employment contracts, corporate governance and finance needs (among other things).
- Rebecca is a skilled negotiator having assisted clients with numerous negotiations during the purchase and sale of businesses, negotiations of all types of contracts and negotiations relating to shareholder disputes and the ultimate removal of a shareholder.
- Rebecca takes pride in drafting all types of legal agreements from the standard to the novel and complex, all in a clear and concise manner.
- Rebecca earned a degree in Psychology and then an LLB from the University of British Columbia. During her studies she completed a year at the University of Auckland and a semester at the University of Western Australia.
- After graduating from Law School in 2004 Rebecca worked as a clerk for seven justices of the British Columbia Supreme Court.
- Rebecca then worked at DLA Piper (Canada) LLP (formerly Davis LLP) as a corporate commercial lawyer until she joined Lift Legal in 2018.
Rebecca was born and raised in Maple Ridge, British Columbia. She lived in Vancouver before moving to St. Albert in 2012.
Rebecca’s greatest accomplishment is her family and she is kept very busy enjoying life with her husband Mel and their three wonderful boys. On any given day she can be found at the Servus Place pool or playground, watching a hockey game or swimming lesson, or spending time with her family at one of the many amazing parks around St. Albert. Rebecca is happy to call St. Albert home and is proud to be growing Lift Legal in the community where she is raising her children.
More than anything, Rebecca loves to have adventures with her family, whether it be a bike ride or a day trip to a new local park, a road trip to BC to visit cousins and grandparents or an epic adventure to a new city or country, Rebecca is always seeking out these opportunities for her family. One of Rebecca’s goals in life is to expose her children to a wide variety of cultures and experiences – and in her view there is no better what to accomplish that than through local adventures and travel!
Legal ServicesAt Lift Legal we don’t “specialize” in everything, rather we do two things, and we do them well.
We can advise you on almost all aspects of your business, from start-up to selling your business, and everything in between.
- Incorporate a new Canadian or Alberta company;
- Incorporate a professional corporation;
- Register a federal or extra-provincial company;
- Draft Unanimous Shareholder Agreements or Partnership Agreements;
- Update an incorporation that you did on your own;
- Compile a corporate minute book;
- Work closely with your accountant to ensure your business is set up in the most tax efficient manner.
Contracts and Documents
We draft or review:
- Service, supply and other contracts to use with your clients or customers;
- Employment, consulting and independent contractor agreements to use with your employees and other service providers;
- Joint venture, non-disclosure, confidentiality and other business agreements;
- Office sharing, partnership and other agreements to assist professionals in managing their business needs;
- All manner of commercial agreements that may be specific to your area of business.
Maintaining Your Company
- Changes to key aspects of your company such as directors, registered address and shareholders;
- Alterations to your company’s share structure;
- Issue or transfer of shares;
- Changes to partnerships such as the addition or termination of a partner.
Selling or Buying a Business
We assist with all aspects of the purchase or sale of a business including:
- Negotiating the key terms of the transaction;
- Drafting or reviewing a letter of intent;
- Drafting or reviewing purchase and sale agreements;
- Conducting due diligence;
- Preparing closing documents and facilitating the transfer of funds;
- Working with your accountant to ensure the deal is tax efficient;
- Advising on post-closing matters.
We assist with all aspects of granting or obtaining financing including:
- Reviewing and negotiating loan documents received from financial institutions;
- Drafting or reviewing loan and security documents for private financings;
- Drafting or reviewing shareholder loan documents;
- Advising with respect to providing or obtaining personal property security and guarantees;
- Drafting or reviewing security documents.
- Assist wherever your company faces legal hurdles;
- Advise on everything from negotiating commercial contracts, raising financing and corporate governance to settling disputes and hiring employees.
- Be available to you for advice and direction as your business grows.
- Work with your other outside advisors such as accountants or brokers to ensure our legal advice is tailored to align with the valuable insight of these advisors.
You may be wanting to make a pre-nuptial arrangement or you may have no idea where to start when it comes to sorting out your property or time with children upon a split from a spouse. Whatever the issue, Lift Legal can help.
Marriage Agreement Lawyer
We can create marriage agreements to deal with issues relating to money, property or debt that could arise should your new relationship someday break down.
Separation Agreement Lawyer
We can create an agreement that will allow you to move on with your life without worrying about how long your divorce will take. A separation agreement lawyer establishes terms pertaining to child custody, child support, spousal support, property division, debt obligations and other marital separation matters. It can be registered with the court upon divorce and as a result also serves as an invaluable tool for guiding your relationship with your spouse after divorce and into the future.
Collaborative Family Law
Mel is a certified collaborative family lawyer and he can assist you with achieving a resolution to your family law issue through this process. Collaborative family law is an out-of-court process that enables separating or divorcing spouses to create their own settlement with the support of collaborative family lawyers. Collaborative family law may be the right choice for you if you and your spouse both want to maintain some control over the outcome of your separation or divorce, preserve your relationship as much as possible, put the interests of your children first, and maintain your privacy.
Family Law Mediation
Mel is a certified family law mediator and he can help you and your spouse reach an agreement on some or all of your family law issues. The mediator’s role is to listen to both sides and, without bias, help the two of you find middle ground that you both support.
Divorce isn’t easy for anyone, especially children. Often, younger children don’t understand that the family […]